10 Beautiful Tweets That Will Make You Book a Trip to Hydra, Greece Right Now. Written by Scott McGinnis | Goombay Tally | www.goombaytally.com | Hydra, Greece | Please contact us at [email protected] for feedback, writer and advertisement requests. For those that are unfamiliar with the Greek Islands — “Hydra” is one of the […]
10 Beautiful Tweets That Will Make You Book a Trip to Hydra, Greece Right Now.
Written by Scott McGinnis | Goombay Tally | www.goombaytally.com | Hydra, Greece | Please contact us at [email protected] for feedback, writer and advertisement requests.
For those that are unfamiliar with the Greek Islands — “Hydra” is one of the Saronic Islands of Greece and is beautifully nestled in the Aegean Sea and separated from the Peloponnese by an incredibly thin body of water. Because of its natural springs, the ancients originally referred to the island as “Hydrea” (Greek:
Accordingly, the island of Hydra has been affectionately referred to over time as the “gem of the Saronic Gulf” and is well known throughout the travel world as the one Greek Island without cars, scooters, trucks, trains, or planes to remind you of the chaotic rat race situation back home that you are frantically running away from while on vacation. Instead, all travel is accomplished over beautiful, cobbled-stone streets and narrow lanes.
Parents will certainly appreciate the fact that their kids are safe from speeding taxis and racing traffic. In fact, you will find that ferries and donkeys are really the only reliable and frequent modes of transportation on the island.
Check us Out on Facebook Too!
Hydra’s old-world beauty and breath-taking scenery has compelled many an artist to grab their paints, brushes, and easel to archive this incredibly gorgeous island into artistic eternity.
Who can blame them right?
Having visited the island of Hydra on three occasions, I still consider this paradise destination as one of the world’s best kept secrets. But if you needed a little more convincing that you need to call your travel agent and book your next vacation to Hydra, Greece — just check out these tantalizing tweets from vacationers who will not hesitate to share this “best kept secret” on social media. Enjoy!
Shades of Blue – Hydra Island, Greece
.#artistlife #artvisit #arttrip #hydraisland #travelforlife #travelforart #travelandexplore #exploreart #discoverart #shotonfilm #analogphotography #architecturephotography pic.twitter.com/0hXedzW6n7
— ARTVISIT (@artvisitonline) April 13, 2018
— day three
— first full day in greece
— boat tour to hydra, poros, and aegina pic.twitter.com/8O8Tld575t
— sophie (@theroyalmess) April 11, 2018
— Blue Sky (@bluskyz16) April 8, 2018
— SKJ Traveler (@SKJtraveler) April 4, 2018
#Hydra, built in the shape of an amphitheatre on a slope overlooking the Argosaronic gulf, is one of the most romantic destinations in Greece. Traditional stone mansions, narrow cobblestoned streets, secluded squares and only the use of donkeys as means of public transportation, pic.twitter.com/hHIKBfIiwz
— Greece Ελλάς Греция (@GreekPictures) March 31, 2018
— Rebecca Hall (@BeyondBex) March 29, 2018
Some photos from visiting the islands of Hydra, Poros, and Aegina in Greece. 1/2 pic.twitter.com/frZtlGCV6u
— Dylan Bennett (@MBoffin) March 29, 2018
Watch the #sunset and let it color your dreams ✨💛✨
— Zoe Gathi (@zoegathi) March 25, 2018
White and blue Old house at Hydra Island, Greece pic.twitter.com/fbvfXVvHed
— Greece Tours (@GreeceTours) March 15, 2018
Amerigunistan: Is This The New American Normal?
“Amerigunistan” is obviously not a country, but a growing number of Americans fear that the U.S. is quickly turning into a destructive war zone – much like … well … “Afghanistan.”
During my two tours in Afghanistan, there wasn’t a day that passed where you didn’t cognitively factor in the looming insurgency threat into every action or movement you made that day. The threats: vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices (VBIED), Improvised explosive devices (IEDs), indirect fire (IDF), green-on-blue attacks, and the list continues. Conversely, in the U.S., we plan a simple trip to the local bank, Food Giant, or Wal-Mart without hesitation or overly-extensive planning involved.
In a deployed environment, a troop movement “outside-the-wire” involves deliberate planning, seamless coordination, briefings, and headquarters authorization. All because the threats against allied forces were deadly, real, and numerous. As a fighting soldier, sailor, airman, or marine, you had to keep (what U.S. fighting forces call) “your head on a swivel.” That meant being insanely alert, being aware of your surroundings at all times, trusting no one beyond your individual unit members — at least until verified, and anticipating the worst case scenario in literally every situation.
As Americans, we simply don’t worry about being hit by a VBIED on the way to Chuck E. Cheese’s with our kids. Similarly, we generally don’t expect to dodge gunfire during a weekend trip to the mall with the family. But over time … and absent significant cultural, law enforcement, and “gun access” legislation in this country, will America devolve into a war-zone-like country as well?
But over time … and absent significant cultural, law enforcement, and “gun access” legislation in this country, will America devolve into a war-zone-like country as well?
On 15 February 2018, we collectively gasped as a deranged gunman and ex-student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL gunned down 17 innocent students at the high school.
“So What’s “Amerigunistan?”
So here it is up front: I don’t believe the answer to this social problem is to ban guns. However, I do believe in enforcing and making the existing gun laws significantly smarter and infinitely more effective. That said, it makes absolutely no sense to protect members of Congress, movie stars, pop stars, sports professionals, and military installations with armed guards and fortified infrastructure, but leave the most innocent and vulnerable in our society without a fighting chance.
Likewise, I find it incredibly interesting that politicians give eloquent speeches about gun control and the evils of ‘assault style’ weapons … all while under the protection of armed guards and security forces…it’s hypocritical.”
Gun control alone measures alone, aren’t the answer to ending gun violence in America — mainly because gun control laws only touch a small fraction of the major nodes that encompass this issue right now. For example, law abiding citizens who have no desire to rob a bank or commit a crime are impacted the most by stringent gun control laws. The criminals (by definition) don’t follow laws. “Ask the cities of Chicago, Washington D.C., Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, and Philadelphia; the cities with the most stringent gun control laws — but also the cities with “off-the-chart” murder rates in the country. These are American cities [literally] “under siege” and victimized by criminals.
So obviously, the logical thing to do is to disarm law abiding citizens and toss them to the wolves (*facetious).
Furthermore, punishing law-abiding citizens for the sins of the criminal is tantamount to the middle school kid who gets bullied during lunch and instead of addressing the issue with the “actual” bullies or school administrators, he simply goes home and kicks the dog … all because that’s the easiest target to control. But it certainly doesn’t solve the problem.
Punishing law-abiding citizens for the sins of the criminal is tantamount to the middle school kid who gets bullied during lunch and instead of addressing the issue with the “actual” bullies or school administrators, he simply goes home and kicks the dog … just because that’s the easiest target to control. But it certainly doesn’t solve the problem.
“These Are The Real Conversations We Should Have Right Now …”
I believe the following actions should be taken (minimum) if we are going to have a serious conversation about mitigating gun violence in this country.
- Close The Gun Purchase Gaps and Loopholes: Close the existing gaps and loop holes that exist in our current background check systems, (yes, there are a few). For example, if a person’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) status at the point of sale comes back “Delayed” due to questionable background check information, the weapon should probably NOT be sold to the individual EVEN after the three day wait has expired … the vetting process needs to be discovered fully before the weapon exchanges hands. Some retail stores (Dick’s Sporting Goods for example) have implemented these safeguard actions already.
- Fix NICS: Tighten the screws on federal requirements for the military, states, local, and tribal entities to submit criminal history data to the FBI databases (they are there for a reason). Currently, submission of criminal data history to the FBI databases from the states is highly encouraged, but voluntary. In order to (better) prevent bad actors from continuing to torment the public … states, tribes, and federal agencies need to do a better job of collaborating national criminal history data. The information in the NICS databases should also be transparent and interchangeable with all the other systems. Knock down these stove-pipes. Our law enforcement officers out there in our cities can use this valuable information as they make contact with the public. Knowing that the guy you just stopped on the freeway has a history of domestic violence is good to know.
- Mental defectives: We need common sense mental defective reporting to the NICS. Mental defectives need our care, attention, and the best professional help we can provide them … but they certainly don’t need an AR-15 in their possession … no more than a baby needs full access to the medicine cabinet. That’s all. We also need to ensure we continue to protect medical privacy; but not at the expense of innocent lives when there is a clear and eminent threat against public safety … yep, we need to stop playing “I’ve got a secret” in the mental health community.
- Our schools need protection right NOW! Not tomorrow…or when Congress decides to take substantive action. Waiting to win a (mythical) gun control victory in Congress will not happen (probably ever). However, there WILL be another school massacre [attempt] in the near future. If you are a superintendent, school administrator, teacher, or parent, your energy and efforts need to be focused on protecting our precious youth. Additionally, schools need to fund for serious campus threat assessments and develop effective countermeasures. “We don’t have money for comprehensive threat assessments,” is no longer an acceptable excuse for our school administrators. Our schools are vulnerable and under attack … stop spending federal funds on “non-sense” projects and cultural experiments. There … now you will have the funding you need.
- “We saw something and said something — what the hell happened to you?” Let’s figure out why the Sheriff’s Department in Florida failed to take action with regard to the high school shooter after receiving numerous reports and tips from fellow students, teachers, parents and concerned citizens were submitted to authorities. Some suggest that details regarding the shooter were deliberately ignored in order to artificially reduce the number of “juvenile to prison pipeline” numbers in the state — ensuring that the statistics look better than they actually are. These are the things that students should be protesting right now: why was their safety put in jeopardy in order to meet the objectives of a social agenda? Better yet, when you told us, if we saw something, say something … WE DID! So why did you do “nothing” in response?” These are the true issues that should be investigated.
- It’s infinitely harder to stop a madman with a gun … without another gun: Regardless of your views on armed resource officers or administrators in our schools … remember the bad guy is counting on your school NOT having an armed force (deterrence) on your campus. By resisting the movement to either fund for resource officers or to arm teachers or school administrators, you support the attackers main objectives. Keep that in mind. There are indeed teachers that should never hold (or fire) a weapon ever. But give those who may be ex-military, or law enforcement, the opportunity to protect your campus if attacked. They’ve performed this duty in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. They’ve carried weapons on the mean streets of America with real perpetrators — why does the school factor suddenly change things. Protect our kids like we protect passengers in our airports.
what is not being discussed today… the horrendous failure of the cowardly deputies in Broward county and #BrowardCountySheriff to protect the kids on Valentine's Day in Parkland, Florida. #MarchForOurLives pic.twitter.com/XMgOsNSq2T
— Color Me Red (@ColorMeRed) March 24, 2018
20 children, and 6 teachers were killed during the massacre at Sandy Hook, 14 children, and 3 teachers were killed during the massacre in Parkland Florida. Today #MarchForOurLives showed us how we #HonorThemWithAction now we work to get common sense gun laws passed! pic.twitter.com/XcKHlkHieO
— StopHandgunViolence (@stophandguns) March 25, 2018
My heart is beaming with pride ❤️ … the Parkland High School students met up with the Majory Stoneman Douglas students from Parkland, Florida. #neveragain #parklandforparkland #enough #proudadvisor #parklandpride @ParklandSchools @HankFox29 @69News @NBCPhiladelphia pic.twitter.com/aBc8iR1KEQ
Better yet, when you told us, if we saw something, say something … WE DID! So why did you do “nothing” in response?
Furthermore, those that are adamantly opposed to potentially arming teachers in the classroom are still living in the world of make-believe.
These are the same folks who have no issue walking past a gauntlet of armed police officers and TSA inspectors, surrendering their carry-on possessions for scrutiny, and finally getting zapped in an X-ray machine — all to ensure that your flight to Minneapolis to see grandma is uneventful.
Many Americans refuse to acknowledge the fact that this nation has shifted culturally. There are far too many contributing factors to mention in this article. As great of a nation that this place is … we are no longer the country we were 20, 30, 40 years ago. Scenes of our children dodging gunfire in the school cafeteria never crossed our minds before the Columbine High School tragedy. Today, an incident like that is (unfortunately) commonplace. Sad.
I also believe that citizens who cannot protect themselves from threats and rely solely on law enforcement or the military for their protection, cannot truly categorize themselves a “free” people.
Instead, I feel that “access” to guns in America is the true problem.
“No … Not Every American Should Have ‘Access’ to a Weapon…” Here’s Why:
Last time I checked, in order to operate a motor vehicle on American’s interstates, highways, and roadways, we have specific age requirements, we must possess baseline sensory and motor skill abilities, we must pass a written and practical driver’s test, we must provide our servicing DMV with an extraordinary amount of personal information, we give the state a photograph to be placed on our license and in their database, and repeatedly register our vehicles on an annual basis. All this to maintain safe roadways in this country. But when it comes to guns, yes … we have general gun registration laws and a pedestrian federal background check system, but we don’t exercise the same degree of vetting and due diligence when we allow people to drive on our streets and roadways.
That piece must change.
The Second Amendment guarantees our right to bear arms, but that doesn’t mean everyone “should” bear arms. Certainly no more than that crazy uncle (that we all have in the family) should be left alone to baby sit your kids. It’s not a question of “rights,” it’s a reality of responsibility and mental capacity.
Similarly, as much as we love and care for our 1.3 million legally blind, fellow Americans that currently reside in our country, common sense tells us that they should not be operating vehicles on our roadways … for their own safety, and others. Likewise, guns in the hands of the wrong operator can be equally catastrophic. It’s operator access that needs to be “controlled.”
We must ensure that the wrong operators do not have access to guns in America … this is not a Second Amendment argument, it is a common sense reality.
In conclusion, I believe the term “Amerigunistan” is more than a (clever) hybrid reference for two diametrically opposed nations, it is an organic, grassroots cry from our concerned citizens for federal and state politicians to take meaningful action to stop the senseless violence that plagues one of the wealthiest and innovative nations on the planet. We are essentially a nation that has the capability and capacity to send satellites and other vehicles into space, cure exotic and deadly diseases, and develop software that can fly an aircraft without a pilot, but also worry everyday about sending our kids to elementary school three blocks away — a sad commonality that we are beginning to share with war-torn countries elsewhere on the globe.
So, to answer the original question posed by this article: “…is this the new American normal?” The answer is: I really hope not. The rest of the world is looking to us as THE example of excellence. Our emerging gun violence epidemic is by no means, “excellent.” We can (and must) do better America.
Written by Goombay Tally Staff Writers | Goombay Tally | www.goombaytally.com | Contact [email protected] for advertisement or feedback details.
11 Scary Twitter Comments About That Laundromat You Currently Use.
Written by Kathy McGinnis | Staff Writer for Goombay Tally | www.goombaytally.com | Public Health Article | Contact us below or at [email protected] for comments or writer requests
Just about all of us have used them or currently use them now: those musty-smelling, but convenient, coin-operated laundromats located in just about every town or city in the country. We all need clean clothes right? But not all of us own or have immediate access to reliable washing machines and dryers unfortunately.
College students use ’em in their dorms (when they’re not dropping off three months worth of dirty clothes at Mom’s house), apartment residents use the designated laundry facilities provided by the apartment manager, and the rest of us just basically find the nearest laundromat that doesn’t look like a heinous crime has just been committed there.
But have you ever thought about the potential health risks of using public laundromats? Of course you haven’t. Let’s be honest, most of us are concerned with three primary things in a laundromat: washing machine and dryer availability, running out of Tide detergent, and not having enough quarters to dry your clothes thoroughly. Oh, and maybe some strange, creepy guy snatching your sexy underwear out of the dryer, holding them to his nose, and running away.
@KatyaKSNT found in laundrymat by daughter in law and her boss pic.twitter.com/URsaOOgotq
— bruce culbertson (@bruce33152) March 3, 2016
So how do you really know that your local laundromat is sanitary? Experts suggest that you should first look for a dedicated attendant during the hours of operation. Laundromats with attendants won’t guarantee that the facility will be squeaky clean obviously, but it may help reduce the level of “heebie-jeebies” that you might unknowingly bring home in your clothes hamper. Generally, a paid attendant will be in charge of cleaning the washers, dryers, folding tables, and keeping the floors swept, mopped, and clean.
Check us Out on Facebook Today! Make Sure You Tell Your Nosy Neighbor.
Additionally, laundromat attendants will typically ensure that washers and dryers are thoroughly cleaned to make sure there is no residual detergent remaining, remove any ink stains that may have been caused by a pen left in the little pocket of a third-grader, and cleaning out the dreaded link trays that tend to manufacture gray, miniature-sized, Christmas ugly sweaters after several uses.
Additionally, good laundromats will ensure that a strong disinfectant is used on those drab-looking folding tables every day. This simple action will help minimize the number of bacteria and germs left by other laundromat patrons throughout the day.
But no … seriously … how many times have you used a laundromat and thought to yourself, “so … how sanitary are these places anyway … and what am I really bringing home to my family on these “clean” clothes?
Well, let’s ask the expert:
University of Arizona professor of microbiology, Charles Gerba, has actually conducted extensive research on the dirty, nasty germs that hide … yes, and thrive in washing machines and dryers. According to professor Gerba, “If you wash a load of just underwear, there will be about 100 million E. coli in the wash water, and they can be transmitted to the next load of laundry.”
Feel free to take a break from reading this article and head to the bathroom to puke if needed.
“If you wash a load of just underwear, there will be about 100 million E. coli in the wash water, and they can be transmitted to the next load of laundry.”
So in layman’s terms … “There’s about a tenth of a gram of “poop” in the average pair of underwear,” professor Gerba stated. Furthermore, fecal material can carry a number of germs that include the hepatitis A virus, norovirus (the nasty virus that causes your stomach or intestines or both to get inflamed … leading to stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea and throwing up) rotavirus, salmonella and (no surprise) E. coli.
Not only are standard laundromats hard to endure because of their lack of cleanliness, but they’re getting more expensive to use as well. Some patrons report spending as much as $30-$40 a pop just to wash their laundry in these facilities. Just ask this desperate Twitter user.
I didn't know laundromats were so damn expensive. I had to sell a kidney just to wash my clothes. Probs will have to sell the other to dry
— Señorita Suh (@contra_1994) September 3, 2017
I’ve noticed that it’s not just smart university professors and annoying “Mom’s basement” bloggers that are talking about possible health hazards that lurk inside coin-operated laundromats. Twitter is full of people who have both a love/hate relationship with laundromats — and they certainly aren’t afraid to voice their opinions about these magical and enchanted places.
11 Scary Twitter Comments About That Laundromat You Currently Use.
1. At The End of The Day — It’s All About Those Dirty…Dirty Thongs.
2. Avoid the Crazy Ladies Armed with a Bad Attitude, Dirty House Slippers, and a Snotty Nose!
3. Need Dirty, Wet Clothes? That’ll Be $8 Please Miss.
Laundromats are fun because you spend $8 on one load of laundry and you end up with dirty wet clothes ☺️☺️☺️
— rachel rigby (@Rachlyn77) June 14, 2016
4. Yes, Some Laundromats Are So Bad, People Would Rather Wear “Crusty,” Funky Clothes Around Town Instead of Spending an Hour Sitting in One.
5. Some Commercial Service Locations Will Never Work As Cute or Adorable Photo Shoot Locations. Add “Laundromats” to That List Please.
This is not a cute engagement shoot because laundromats are dirty! pic.twitter.com/P5VfBxZov3
— Carlee Barackman (@carleebb) October 4, 2015
6. Dirty Laundromats Apparently Can Leave You Disgusted, Disenchanted, and With a Dismal View of Life.
Laundromats are a modern miracle. You go in with dirty clothes and you come out with no hope for humanity.
— Chase Padgett (@ChasePadgett) January 29, 2015
7. Laundromats, Life, and Love (well, sort of).
I don’t get hit on in cute places like concerts or school. I get hit on in downtown laundromats and dirty gas stations at 1 in the morning.
— Sam (@SammySmallEars) September 9, 2013
8. Hey, Score One For The City of Brotherly Love. Congratulations, You’re Better Than Denmark!
9. War and Laundromats: Both Are Hellish Experiences.
Rude, obnoxious people. 2nd hand smoke. Terrible satellite radio. The smells of other's dirty clothes. Laundromats are a new level of hell.
— Tom May (@moodrider) September 4, 2009
10. If You Use Laundromats Long Term, You “Will” Have Your Stuff Jacked … Regardless of Its Value.
Ugh. Why do laundromats have to lose/steal stuff? Was the mesh bag worth anything? No. But now where do I put my dirty clothes?
— Jon Brandt (@jgbrandt) September 22, 2009
11. Tip: Sometimes It’s Not Worth Washing “One” Blanket in a Filthy Laundromat — Wal-Mart Sells Fleece Blankets For $9.00 – Just Ceremoniously Burn It and Move On.
UGH just my Luck to end up in one of the most Hood, Ghetto, and Dirty Laundromats in the dang city of Atlanta!!! JUST FOR A BLANKET! #grrr
— Diesel Milan (@dieseldashit) April 7, 2011
Written by Kathy McGinnis | Goombay Tally | Contact us below or at [email protected] for comments or writer requests
Yes, We’re On Facebook Too! Check Us Out Today! Please Share Us, Debate Us, Twitter Us.
Click to Read.
15 Facts You Didn’t Know About The Philadelphia Eagles
Written by Todd Martin | Writer for Goombay Tally |Goombaytally.com | Philadelphia Eagles | Share us on Facebook/Twitter | Contact us below or at [email protected] for comments or writer requests
The Philadelphia Eagles have certainly made a name for themselves in the 2017-18 NFL season with its “phenom” quarterback Carsten Wentz and top ranked defense that has turned every early season power ranking and playoffs prediction on its head. If you are a die-hard Philadelphia Eagles fan, you are undoubtedly enjoying the glorious ride thus far. Here a few things you may not have known about the Philadelphia Eagles franchise to date:
Goombay Tally’s 15 Facts You Didn’t Know About the Philadelphia Eagles
1) Although Mike Ditka was better known for playing and coaching for the Chicago Bears, he also moonlighted with the Philadelphia Eagles for a short period of time. What position did he play?
Answer: Tight End
Comment: Give yourself a minor pat on the back if you nailed this one.
2) What year did the Philadelphia Eagles become a NFL team?
Comment: If you didn’t get this one, please carefully take off your Brian Westbrook jersey, turn in your Eagles fan card at the closest Wawa, and shamefully walk away. And no TastyKakes for you today sir.
3) What 1926 NFL Championship winning Philadelphia team proceeded the Philadelphia Eagles before going bankrupt and folded in 1931?
Answer: The Frankford Yellow Jackets
Comment: This question will tend to put some degree of separate between the casual Eagles fans and the Posers.
4) Which Philadelphia Eagles Running Back competed in and finished seventh in Bobsledding during the 1992 Winter Olympics?
Answer: Herschel Walker
Comment: Not incredibly hard trivia question, but keep this one in your hip pocket when needed.
5) Mark Wahlberg played the role of which Philadelphia Eagles special teams player in the 2006 movie Invincible?
Answer: Vince Papale
Comment: Come on! That was pretty much a give me. Here’s an extra credit question for you: What team did Vince Papale try out for and make prior to his run with the Eagles? Answer: The Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League. *(shutter)
6) During the Philadelphia Eagles’ first year in the NFL, what color were their jerseys?
Answer: Yellow and Blue
Comment: Every Eagles fan knows that right?
7) Which legendary Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Lineman and Pro Football Hall of Fame member began his professional football career with the Memphis Showboats of the United States Football League?
Answer: Reggie White
Comment: Believe it or not, professional wrestler Lex Luger was also a Memphis Showboat alum. This factoid will win you at least a Corona with lime.
8) Former Oakland Raiders head coach and Pro Football Hall of Fame member John Madden was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1958. How many games did he play?
Comment: Due to a knee injury in training camp, Madden never actually played a game professionally in the NFL but obviously became interested in coaching during his rehab period in Philly. The rest is history.
On 15 Oct 2016 Goombay Tally Published This Article That Predicted a Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Win “Within 2 Years.” On 9 February 2018, the Philadelphia Eagles Rode Down Broad Street to Celebrate Their First Super Bowl! Yep … Just Sayin’ … Check us out on Facebook too!
9) The Philadelphia Eagles defeated which team in the 1960 NFL Championship game?
Answer: The Green Bay Packers
Comment: If you missed this one please following the same instructions given to (alleged) Eagles fans who missed question # 2. More importantly, this was the only Packers Championship loss for the great Vince Lombardi. Go Eagles!
10) Eagles quarterback Nick Foles wore the number nine jersey. Name at least three other past Eagles quarterbacks who wore the same number.
Answer: Jeff Garcia, Jim McMahon, Vince Young, Sonny Jurgensen, Rodney Peete, and Joe Pisarcik.
Comment: O.K…this is a Master’s level question for Philadelphia Eagles fans. No shame if you only got one of these.
11) The Philadelphia Eagles and which NFL team temporarily merged in 1943 due to manpower shortages driven by military service requirements in WWII?
Answer: The Pittsburgh Steelers
Comment: How many of you would have walked around with “Steagles” Swag? Better question: Would both teams have received credit on the books for a NFL Championship if the Steagles won that season?
12) The Philadelphia Eagles franchise has retired a total of 9 jerseys in its 84 year history. Name at least 4 of the player’s jerseys.
Answer: Donovan McNabb (5), Steven Van Buren (15), Brian Dawkins (20), Tom Brookshier (40), Pete Retzlaff (44), Chuck Bednarik (60), Al Wistert (70), Reggie White (92), Jerome Brown (99).
Comment: Yep. You don’t see Randall Cunningham’s No. 12 on the list, but then again … no Eagles player has worn that number to date since he left the team.
13) The Philadelphia Eagles have played in how many stadiums since 1933? Name Them.
Answer: 6. Baker Bowl, Philadelphia Municipal Stadium, Connie Mack Stadium, Franklin Field, Veterans Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field.
Comment: Baker Bowl was originally located at the N. Broad St., W. Huntingdon St., N. 15th St. and W. Lehigh Avenue block.
14) The first 1933 Philadelphia Eagles roster was mainly comprised of former players from which 3 universities?
Answer: Penn, Temple, and Villanova.
Comment: The Eagles went 3-5-1 that season and failed to make the playoffs. Ugh! But not surprising.
15) Who were the Philadelphia Eagles first quarterbacks in 1933?
Answer: Red Kirkman and Dick Thornton
Comment: Eagles training camp in 1933 was located in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Please feel free to post your Philadelphia Eagles trivia in the comments section. See you next season Bird Fans.
Written by Scott McGinnis | Goombay Tally Blog | Goombay Tally Writers | Contact us below or at [email protected] for comments or writer requests
Click to Buy Today!
7 Major Characters That You’ll See At Any Fitness Club or Gym
Written by Kathy McGinnis | www.goombaytally.com | Goombay Tally Writers | Gym Characters | Share us on Facebook / Twitter
I suppose it’s safe to say that the majority of us have worked out at some point in our lives; or at a minimum … have seen the inside of the gym. Whether it was in junior high and high school, or later in our adult lives in college, or at Gold’s Gym, Planet Fitness, Life Time Fitness ... we’ve been there and done that in some way or capacity.
Anyway, I’ve always loved the gym environment. Almost everything about it.
For example, I remember my first day of “gymnastics class” in elementary school. The beautiful open space. The clean squeak of your brand new gym shoes under the basketball surface. The smell of pee-wee perspiration and the tingly feeling of competition in the air.
You can almost reach out and touch all of those nuances instantaneously. But I do have to be honest with you: I love people-watching at the gym almost equally.
Don’t get me wrong, I put the “work in” during my gym time, but I also enjoy observing others and their unique ways of engaging with the equipment, their workouts, and more importantly … with others.
I suspect a trained physiologist could write and publish an intriguing dissertation just on these dynamics alone.
Self-admittedly, I am by no means the expert on the mind-set, characteristics, and ingrained psychology of the standard gym patron, but the following list will outline what I believe to be the basic six gym characters that you will see on any given day at your chosen gym or health club.
Even if you haven’t seen the inside of a gym since your senior prom in high school, you’ve undoubtedly seen these same characters on social media, on the big screen, in commercials … you name it.
Hey! Do remember the popular Planet Fitness commercial featuring the, “I lift things up and put them down” guy? Hilarious. No genius really.
Planet Fitness nailed that persona.
I lift things up and put them down.
As you are already aware, Planet Fitness sort of prides themselves on shaming the over-the-top gym rats who risk “threatening or intimidating” their patrons through testosterone-induced bravado or clothing.
So. Here she is.
1. The Iconic Muscle Head
- The dictionary defines a muscle head as, “(slang) A large and muscular man, especially one interested in bodybuilding.” Other definitions describe muscle-heads as “those who naturally use their threatening brute force and bullying to get whatever they want.” Also see, Gym Rat.
- Either way, you know who these people are because you can normally see them coming a mile away: massive arms, wearing the stretched tank top, or T-Shirt that looks like they borrowed it from their five-year-old nephew.
- The muscle head will also be carrying the iconic protein shake bottle or jug everywhere they go. They will shake this bottle every two to three minutes– taking furtive sips in between reps.
- Also, if you don’t “see” a Muscle Head in your gym immediately when you walk in, just wait and listen. Why? Because in no time you will hear a Muscle Head on the weight benches or near the 200 lbs dumb bells, screaming like their being mercilessly tortured during the Spanish Inquisition.
- Because of his colossal size and equally threatening demeanor, the Muscle Head will claim dibs on no less than five pieces of workout equipment at one time. We refer to this as the “buster cluster.” This is the cluster of workout equipment surrounding the Muscle Head that he has proprietary ownership of. For example, you will see a curl machine that is clearly unoccupied, and once you walk over to use it, you will hear a gruffly voice from clear across the gym yell, “YO, I’M STILL USING THAT!”
Click for details.
2. The “Look at Me” Gym Queen
- Definition: The Gym Queen is the certifiably attractive female who attends your gym wearing top-of-the line workout fashions and looks like she just stepped out of the front cover of Women’s Health Magazine. Gym Queen’s primary objective is to DRAW ATTENTION. Physical fitness is merely a supportive function of this objective.
- NOTE: You will never see Gym Queen sweat because she isn’t really THERE to sweat — she’s there to look good and solicit your undivided attention. Sweating will only mitigate that.
- Gym Queen will often be seen at the gym with Muscle Head. In this instance, she will only be there as Muscle Head’s side ornament and as he grunts and strains on the weight bench or dumb bells. They go together like complementing artwork.
3. The Enigma
- The Enigma is the gym patron who performs an odd regiment of exercises every time you see them. For example, Enigma will grab a set of 25 lb weights, wave them up and down like a wounded Red Robin, while side-lunging erratically for three sets of ten reps. Watching the Enigma workout will even cause the most conservative of Christians to involuntarily spout out “WTF!” … or at least “WTH!”
- You’ll know that you are encountering an Enigma when you find yourself staring at their workout routine out of both amazement and horror. Mostly honor. You will wonder if the workout routine is even legal in your state. The answer is: yes, but probably shouldn’t.
- Mind you, you will not see Enigma at the gym on a consistent basis due to the obvious injurious nature of their workouts which will invariably send them to a local Emergency Room.
- For the record, Enigmas were the kids in high school who you never saw in your gym class because they were able to clandestinely substitute the physical fitness requirement with other qualifiers like Drama and JROTC. Well … it’s 20 years later and now these guys are ready to get in shape. Enjoy.
4. The Gym Equipment Hog
- When entering the gym, “The Hog” will strategically select one piece of workout equipment (typically the same one they used during their last visit) and essentially “hog” or remain on the equipment for 30, 40 minutes…heck, sometimes an hour.
- The equipment hog may also “claim” to be using multiple pieces of workout equipment at one time as if they actually own the facility. Remember that the gym equipment hog feels that their workout and general fitness is infinitely more important than yours and that you are there just for sport.
- The hog will eek out incredibly slow and methodical reps on the leg press machine and rest for 15 minutes in between sets. Then repeat the process for the next hour or so.
- The most unique and equally disturbing aspect of The Parker is that regardless of the collective time that they spend in the gym … they won’t look like they are improving at all.
5. The Poser
- The poser is known for “dressing the part” of a serious health and fitness aficionado but if you look very closely, he or she will typically only complete one–maybe two sets on their exercise equipment, but then begin hitting on attractive female for the remainder of their gym time.
- Yes, the ladies can be posers too and actually use their health club membership as their social club enabler.
- By the way fellas, you have the poser to thank for driving out the serious ladies in the gym who are purely there for their health and fitness and consequently, causing female-only gyms to grow exponentially.
6. The Tiger
- The Tiger is the quintessential bad-ass who arrives to the gym at 0430 every day (that’s four-thirty A.M. for civilians) and is ready to take on the world with his or her towel, water bottle, and workout notepad.
- The Tiger is a lean and mean athlete who is more focused and determined than a hungry (Tiger) …get it?
- The Tiger ignores the Gym Queen, despises The Poser, and gets horribly nauseated around The Enigma. He or she respects the Muscle Head but is by no means intimidated by his ego or ostentatious antics.
- Oh yeah, The Parker just pisses The Tiger off as they wait endlessly to use the workout equipment. The Tiger will eventually snap and pummel The Parker mercilessly.
7. The Social Butterfly
The social butterfly is obviously at the gym for one reason: to meet members of the opposite sex. For example, the social butterfly will also float and hover around an attractive female who is trying to finish her workout for 30 minutes to an hour without actually accomplishing anything themselves. After engaging with their target for the day, social butterflies will tend to wrap up their “workout” by doing one pathetic rep on their equipment of choice and hit the showers … later telling their friends and co-workers that they ran 5 miles and benches 350 lbs, 3 sets, 10 repetitions.
Yes, We’re on Facebook Too. Check Us Out Today! Share Us Please.