15 Philadelphia Eagles Trivia Questions That Will Separate the True Fans From The Stinkin’ Posers.
Written by Scott McGinnis | Goombay Tally Blog |Goombaytally.com | Philadelphia Eagles | Share us on Facebook/Twitter
Don’t you just hate that guy at the sports bar that claims to be the most dedicated, knowledgeable and motivated Philadelphia Eagles fan on the face of the planet? “The Eagles’ #1 Fan!” Or at least in South Philly.
He struts around wearing his throwback Ron Jaworski jersey while quoting rare Eagles trivia that even current Eagles players or coaches would never know (or care to know frankly).
Yep. he’s annoying. But let’s face it–he’s on point and maybe a little crazy, but he invests some serious cranial sweat equity into his craft by studying little known Eagles franchise tidbits, perusing over past running back statistics buried deep in convoluted spreadsheets, memorizing sleep-inducing quarterback rating data, and even collecting past owner background information.
He’s earned his reputation as an EAGLES NERD! Yeah … so the below trivia questions won’t make you that guy. But it will give you a slight leg up on the average Eagles fan who just plays the part every Sunday. Anyway, you can’t be mad at him (or her) for going nuts over a team that’s never actually won a Super Bowl. Right? A true fan … not a bandwagon hobbit or troll.
In fact, regardless of the fact that the City of Brotherly Love is still missing a shiny Vince Lombardi Trophy in its showcase, Philly fans consistently rank high as the NFL’s most loyal fans. So we love our “Birds” … rain or shine.
But let’s say that we are just a LITTLE jealous of this same guy because of his “Eagles Trivia Swag” and the fact that he’s probably earned more than a few free adult beverages at multiple sports bars in Philly due to his impressive team knowledge. Principally from bets with less gifted and fool-hearty fans.
So. We’d like to help out.
So. It’s no secret that more than a few of our “Goombay Tally Blog” writers are die-hard Eagles fans, so this is our official Philadelphia Eagles Fan test that separates the “Die-Hards” from the Casual “Midnight Green” Puff Cakes who just wear the jerseys to fit in and look pretty.
Here’s how you use it:
- Quickly memorize these Eagles trivia questions. Preferably not while drinking.
- Next, head to your local Philly sports bar and listen out for the next wannabe shooting off his mouth about being Philly’s biggest Eagle’s fan and start dropping the following trivia bombs on him until he looks like a lab monkey stuck in a 7:30 A.M., Temple University, Quantum Physics 401 class on exam day after a night of heavy drinking at Chickie’s and Pete’s Crab House and Sports Bar.
O.K. Let’s begin.
The Goombay Tally Philadelphia Eagles Quick Shot Fan Quiz
1) Although Mike Ditka was better known for playing and coaching for the Chicago Bears, he also moonlighted with the Philadelphia Eagles for a short period of time. What position did he play?
Answer: Tight End
Comment: Give yourself a minor pat on the back if you nailed this one.
2) What year did the Philadelphia Eagles become a NFL team?
Comment: If you didn’t get this one, please carefully take off your Brian Westbrook jersey, turn in your Eagles fan card at the closest Wawa, and shamefully walk away. And no TastyKakes for you today sir.
3) What 1926 NFL Championship winning Philadelphia team proceeded the Philadelphia Eagles before going bankrupt and folded in 1931?
Answer: The Frankford Yellow Jackets
Comment: This question will tend to put some degree of separate between the casual Eagles fans and the Posers.
4) Which Philadelphia Eagles Running Back competed in and finished seventh in Bobsledding during the 1992 Winter Olympics?
Answer: Herschel Walker
Comment: Not incredibly hard trivia question, but keep this one in your hip pocket when needed.
5) Mark Wahlberg played the role of which Philadelphia Eagles special teams player in the 2006 movie Invincible?
Answer: Vince Papale
Comment: Come on! That was pretty much a give me. Here’s an extra credit question for you: What team did Vince Papale try out for and make prior to his run with the Eagles? Answer: The Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League. *(shutter)
6) During the Philadelphia Eagles’ first year in the NFL, what color were their jerseys?
Answer: Yellow and Blue
Comment: Every Eagles fan knows that right?
7) Which legendary Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Lineman and Pro Football Hall of Fame member began his professional football career with the Memphis Showboats of the United States Football League?
Answer: Reggie White
Comment: Believe it or not, professional wrestler Lex Luger was also a Memphis Showboat alum. This factoid will win you at least a Corona with lime.
8) Former Oakland Raiders head coach and Pro Football Hall of Fame member John Madden was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1958. How many games did he play?
Comment: Due to a knee injury in training camp, Madden never actually played a game professionally in the NFL but obviously became interested in coaching during his rehab period in Philly. The rest is history.
9) The Philadelphia Eagles defeated which team in the 1960 NFL Championship game?
Answer: The Green Bay Packers
Comment: If you missed this one please following the same instructions given to (alleged) Eagles fans who missed question # 2. More importantly, this was the only Packers Championship loss for the great Vince Lombardi. Go Eagles!
10) Eagles quarterback Nick Foles wore the number nine jersey. Name at least three other past Eagles quarterbacks who wore the same number.
Answer: Jeff Garcia, Jim McMahon, Vince Young, Sonny Jurgensen, Rodney Peete, and Joe Pisarcik.
Comment: O.K…this is a Master’s level question for Philadelphia Eagles fans. No shame if you only got one of these.
11) The Philadelphia Eagles and which NFL team temporarily merged in 1943 due to manpower shortages driven by military service requirements in WWII?
Answer: The Pittsburgh Steelers
Comment: How many of you would have walked around with “Steagles” Swag? Better question: Would both teams have received credit on the books for a NFL Championship if the Steagles won that season?
12) The Philadelphia Eagles franchise has retired a total of 9 jerseys in its 84 year history. Name at least 4 of the player’s jerseys.
Answer: Donovan McNabb (5), Steven Van Buren (15), Brian Dawkins (20), Tom Brookshier (40), Pete Retzlaff (44), Chuck Bednarik (60), Al Wistert (70), Reggie White (92), Jerome Brown (99).
Comment: Yep. You don’t see Randall Cunningham’s No. 12 on the list, but then again … no Eagles player has worn that number to date since he left the team.
13) The Philadelphia Eagles have played in how many stadiums since 1933? Name Them.
Answer: 6. Baker Bowl, Philadelphia Municipal Stadium, Connie Mack Stadium, Franklin Field, Veterans Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field.
Comment: Baker Bowl was originally located at the N. Broad St., W. Huntingdon St., N. 15th St. and W. Lehigh Avenue block.
14) The first 1933 Philadelphia Eagles roster was mainly comprised of former players from which 3 universities?
Answer: Penn, Temple, and Villanova.
Comment: The Eagles went 3-5-1 that season and failed to make the playoffs. Ugh! But not surprising.
15) Who were the Philadelphia Eagles first quarterbacks in 1933?
Answer: Red Kirkman and Dick Thornton
Comment: Eagles training camp in 1933 was located in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Please feel free to post your Philadelphia Eagles trivia in the comments section. See you next season Bird Fans.
Written by Scott McGinnis | Goombay Tally Blog | Goombay Tally Writers